SSE Airtricity League Round-Up: Cork back on track as Sligo Rovers draw…again

I have noticed over the past few weeks how these wrap ups have taken a familar pattern as usually it is safe to assume that Cork City won and Sligo Rovers drew their respective matches in the Premier Division. While in the First Division Waterford continue to lead the way. And that’s the case this week as well! Although during the week Cork did lose their first game of the season when they were beaten 1-0 in Dalymount Park by Bohemian FC. George Poynton who is on loan from Dundalk scored the goal. Like all good title chasing sides do Cork responded by winning on Friday and it was a hard fought win as a goal from Stephen Dooley gave them a 1-0 win against relegation threatened Drogheda United. In a clash of two other sides fighting to beat the drop Galway United won 3-1 away against Finn Harps. Ronan Murray scoring twice inside the last fifteen minutes. Gavan Holohan had scored their first. Eddie Dsane scored for Harps.

Limerick are slowly being dragged into the race to avoid the drop as they were beaten 3-0 by Dundalk. Patrick McEleney, Brian Gartland and Robbie Benson with the goals. At the other end of the table Derry City claimed advantage in the race to finish third as they were 2-0 winners against Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght. Aaron McEneff and Barry McNamee with the goals. Bohs and Bray Wanderers played out a goal-less draw in Dalymount Park. The FAI released a statement over the weekend saying that Bray had provided them with proof that they have secured the necessary funding to see out the season so this is one drama that seems to have drawn to a close for now.

Which leaves the remaining game as Sligo Rovers played St. Patrick’s Athletic in the Showgrounds in a game which they needed to win but has become their form they drew – again. Kyle Callan-McFadden gave them lead but Kurtis Byrne levelled matters in the second half. Conor O’Malley in the St. Pat’s goal pulled off a string of quality saves and it came as little surprise to head that he is being linked with a move to Peterborough United. Little comfort for Rovers who remain in the bottom three. In the First Division the games between Waterford and Cabinteely, Shelbourne and UCD, Athlone Town and Wexford all finished 1-1. Staying with Athlone and their match fixing hearing has been postponed for three weeks to give both sides a chance to prepare their case.

In the division’s remaining game Cobh Ramblers beat Longford Town 2-0 to close the gap to seven points on Waterford. It is a break from the league action next weekend as the first round of the FAI Cup gets underway. There are a number of all Premier Division affairs with the pick of the bunch being a repeat of one of last years semi-finals as Dundalk play host to Derry City. Holders Cork City are away to Bray Wanderers. I will be heading for City Calling Stadium as Rovers are away to Longford Town. Cup pedigree in recent years has been strong for the Bit O’Red as they won the Cup in 2010, 2011 and 2013 so hopefully are due another Cup run!