Bluefin Sport Championship Matchday 5: Dergview Shock Ports to Secure First Win

NIFL Championship

It was another day with plenty of action in the Bluefin Sport Championship and we’re here once again to take a look back at all the action.

Ballyclare Comrades 0 PSNI 3

PSNI moved ahead of Lurgan Celtic and Portadown into 3rd place in the table and now trail Saturday’s opponents only by goal difference thanks to this convincing win over the Comrades at Dixon Park on Saturday. The PSNI were in control right from the off and goals after 3 minutes and 5 minutes, virtue of Chris Watts and Paul McDowell, before Adam Wright extended their lead further after 35 minutes. The Comrades thought they had found a way back into the game before half-time but Samuel McIlveen failed to convert from the penalty spot. A bad day got even worse for Ballyclare when defender Chris Rodgers was forced off and taken to hospital with a head injury but we’re pleased to report Chris has been discharged and is doing well.

Dergview 3 Portadown 1

Not many people would have predicted this result but after six matches Dergview finally got their first win of the season to move three points clear of bottom side Larne, while this result sees Portadown slip to 4th, three points off the pace. Dergview opened the scoring shortly before half-time thanks to an Adam Buchanan strike and after the hour mark, Simon McGinn doubled the Castlederg side’s lead. Dergview could have had a third but for a goal-line clearance from Adam McCallum and before long Niall Henderson had pulled the Ports back into the game by scoring from the penalty box. Dergview held on though and wrapped up the win thanks to a late goal from Ryan Campbell.

Harland and Wolff Welders 0 Newry City 0

The Welders and Newry played out Saturday’s only goalless game in The Championship at Tillysburn Park on Saturday. The first half offered little in the way of chances but both sides came close, firstly the Welders could have broken the deadlock when Scott McMillan got on the end of a trademark Gareth McKeown long throw but Stephen Maguire was able to tip the ball over the bar and shortly after this Welders keeper Jason Craughwell had to be quick off his line to deny Mark McCabe. Both sides were denied by the woodwork in the second half, William Armstrong firstly for the Welders and later in the game, Kevin McArdle was denied by the base of the post and in the end both sides settled for a share of the spoils.

Knockbreda 4 Lurgan Celtic 2

Knockbreda’s recent good form has seen them move all the way into top spot in the league while Lurgan Celtic, who have now lost two games in a row, drop down to 5th place. Ryan Harvey opened the scoring for Breda late in the first half but after the break Celtic equalised through Warner Mullan. The sides weren’t level for long though and it was Mark Cooling who scored next to restore Knockbreda’s lead, Ciaran Murray then found the back of the net to extend the lead further and then turned provider to allow Conal Young to make it 4-1. Conor McAnallen scored late in the game to reduce the deficit but it was Knockbreda who left with the points.

Larne 0 Institute 1

The big news coming out of Inver Park over the last few days has been the announcement of a new investor joining the club, as well as a number of changes off the field at board level. Larne fans will be thinking new investment can’t come quickly enough as the side still remain rooted to the foot of the table with only two points to their name. The game’s solitary goal came in the second half when Dean Curry scored from close range and that was enough to give Stute the win to move them into the top half, Larne meanwhile will be hoping for better days ahead under a new era but will need to start getting points on the board quickly.

Loughgall 2 Limavady United 1

The final match of the day in The Championship saw Loughgall run out winners over Limavady at Lakeview Park on Saturday. Limavady started the game strongly and keeper Gareth Buchanan was called into action to deny Robbie Hume but it was the Villagers who took the lead when Marc McConnell glanced home Craig Taylor’s cross from the left. McConnell then scored his second, and what would prove to be the winner just before the break to make it 2-0. Hume pulled a goal back for Limavady on the hour mark and the home side had to dig in when Ricky Copeland was given his marching orders, leaving Loughgall having to play the last 25 minutes with ten men but they did enough to earn the 3 points and move themselves further away from the foot of the table and into 7th.

Next week sees another full Championship program with the fixtures as follows:-

Dergview v Ballyclare Comrades
Limavady United v PSNI
Loughgall v Larne
Lurgan Celtic v Harland and Wolff Welders
Newry City v Institute
Portadown v Knockbreda

As always we’ll be back next week to look back in all the talking points.