Larne Rout Knockbreda as Newry Move Second

NIFL Championship

There were a couple of fames that fell victim to the weather conditions again but four of the first set of post-split Championship games went ahead as well as the sole Premier Intermediate League match that was scheduled to take place.

Larne 8 Knockbreda 0 (Championship)

Larne extended their unbeaten run in the league to nine games with this thrashing of Knockbreda at Inver Park on Saturday. Larne took the lead after 6 minutes when Thomas Stewart headed home a Martin Donnelly cross but that was to be the only goal of the first half with few chances for either side before the break. Larne’s lead was doubled after 50 minutes when Stewart scored his second of the day and the striker was involved again three minutes later when his cross allowed David McDaid to score. Conor Devlin did have to save well from a Ryan Newberry effort but there was no stopping the home side now and David Scullion soon rounded the Breda keeper, Jason Craughwell and added goal number four. McDaid added to further goals to his name to complete his hat-trick and with time running out Paul Finnegan completed the scoring with his first goal for the club.

Limavady United 0 PSNI 0 (Championship)

The only goalless game of the day was played out at the Limavady Showgrounds on Saturday where Paul Owens men played host to Colin Malone and Ian Campbell’s PSNI side. Joe McCready went closest for the home side shortly after the break but he had to watch on as his effort hit the woodwork instead of the net. The results keeps both sides as theyr were in 8th and 10th respectively.

Loughgall 1 Portadown 2 (Championship)

Loughgall went into this game on a run of form that has seen them secure a top six spot and reach the quarter-finals of the Irish Cup but that run came to an end on Saturday when former Loughgall manager, Niall Currie’s side ran out the victors on Saturday. Portadown couldn’t have asked for a better start when Luke Wilson headed in Chris Lavery’s free kick to give the Ports the lead after just two minutes of play. Loughgall responded well though and were level after 23 minutes thanks a Nathaniel Ferris lobbed effort. Portadown’s lead was restored just under ten minutes after the break when Wilson scored his second of the day with an effort into the top corner and the Ports held out for the three points.

Newry City 2 Ballyclare Comrades 1 (Championship)

In another top half clash Newry got the better of Ballyclare at the Newry Showgrounds on Saturday but Darren Mullan’s men had to work for the win after Chris Rodgers put the Comrades into a first half lead. Comrades were able to hold onto their lead until the late in the game but two goals from Neil Mullen and a dramatic Keith Johnston winner turned the game on its head and ensured it was the Bordermen who headed home happy. Ballyclare remain in 4th but Newry have now climbed above the Welders into 2nd place.

Portstewart 1 Armagh City 0 (Premier Intermediate League)

Armagh missed out on the chance to climb up the table in the only PIL game of the weekend on Saturday, while the Seahawks succeeded in putting some much needed distance between themselves and bottom place. The day was a frustrating one for Armagh as they largely controlled possession but couldn’t create any chances to show for it and a second half goal for the home side would prove to be the deciding factor in the game.