SSE Airtricity League Wrap Up Cork and Dundalk Win Again

They have dominated the title race for the past four seasons and it looks very much like they will make it a fifth as Cork City and Dundalk both won their respective Premier Division fixtures at the weekend.

Defending champions Cork top the table with Dundalk who won the league for the previous three seasons in a row a point behind in second.

Cork won 4-0 against Bray Wanderers with their goals coming from Sean McLoughlin, Barry McNamee and Kieran Sadlier. McLoughlin scored two.

Dundalk were 3-0 winners against Bohemian FC in Oriel Park. Pat Hoban scored a penalty with the other goals coming from Sean Gannon and Michael Duffy. Dundalk are yet to concede a goal this season meaning that their goal-keeper Gary Rogers has set a new club record for consecutive clean sheets.

Waterford FC remain third as they beat Munster rivals Limerick FC in the Markets Field thanks to goals from Courtney Duffus and Paul Keegan.

Despite dominating possession Sligo Rovers were punished for spurning a number of good goal-scoring opportunities as they were beaten 1-0 in the Tallaght Stadium by Shamrock Rovers. Former Reading striker Daniel Carr scored the game’s only goal. There was an element of controversy about the goal as Rovers Rhys McCabe went down holding his head after a challenge by Shamrock defender Roberto Lopes, but the referee let play continue and Rovers were left fuming.

Derry City remain unbeaten on their return to the Brandywell as they beat St. Patrick’s Athletic 2-1. Aaron McEneff scored both of their goals, Dean Clarke pulled a goal back late on for the visitors. It was an emotionally charged night for Derry coming just a day before the one-year anniversary of their captain Ryan McBride.

UCD lead the way in the First Division thanks to their 2-0 win against Cobh Ramblers in St. Colman’s Park. Liam Scales and Maxim Kouogun got their goals.

Drogheda United drop to second as they were beaten 3-2 in Stradbrook by Cabinteely. A brace by Steven Ball proving decisive in that game. Kieran Marty Waters got the first for Cabinteely with Gareth McCaffrey getting both for Drogheda.

A second half goal from Aaron Molloy was enough to give Shelbourne a 1-0 win away against Wexford FC. Galway United and Longford Town played out a goal-less draw in Eamon Deasy Park while the remaining game saw Athlone Town draw 1-1 with Finn Harps in the Athlone Stadium. Shane Stokes gave the home side the lead with Michael O’Connor getting a late equaliser for Harps.