SSE Airtricity League Wrap Up Cork Loose Their Cool as Dundalk go Top

It was an eventful weekend of action in the Premier Division with Dundalk back on top as they beat Shamrock Rovers whilst reigning champions Cork City were beaten by Munster rivals Waterford FC. In Oriel Park Dundalk beat Shamrock 2-1 thanks to goals from Robbie Benson and Chris Shields. It was Shields first goal for his club in over four years. Daniel Carr scored for Shamrock and that was the first goal that Dundalk have conceded this season. It means as well that the Lillywhites missed on equalling Sligo Rovers record of nine successive clean sheets which they set in 2011. Waterford have been the surprise side in the Premier this season and they sit in second thanks to a hard fought and contentious 2-1 win against Cork in the Regional Sports Centre. Conor McCarthy gave Cork the lead after only two minutes but an own goal from Conor McCormack in the 51st minute levelled matters. Courtney Duffus then scored the second with ten minutes to go. The main talking points came in stoppage time when a brawl broke out between the sides when Cork manager John Caulfield looked to get the ball back from Bastien Hery. This led to an all-out melee with both sides having two players sent off. Hery and Stanley Aborah saw red for Waterford with Garry Buckley and Steven Beattie being sent off for Cork. Caulfield and his Waterford counterpart Alan Reynolds were also given their marching orders.

Bray Wanderers maintained their poor start to the season as they were beaten 5-0 by St. Patrick’s Athletic in Richmond Park. Ryan Brennan, Kevin Toner, Conan Byrne, Jake Keegan and Dean Clarke. Bohemian FC and Limerick played out a goal-less draw in Dalymount Park. Derry City have been on a good run as of late and that continues as they were 2-0 winners against Sligo Rovers in the Showgrounds. Rory Patterson and Ronan Hale with their goals. In the First Division Drogheda United were 2-0 winners against UCD in the clash of two of the main promotion contenders. Gareth McCaffrey and Lee Duffy with the goals. Longford Town beat Cabinteely 3-0 thanks to goals from Shane Elworthy, Peter Hopkins and Dean Byrne. Elsewhere Wexford FC drew 1-1 with Cobh Ramblers. Aaron Dobbs gave them the lead with Anthony McAlavey responding for Cobh. Athlone Town continue to leak goals as they were beaten 7-0 by Shelbourne in Tolka Park. David O’Sullivan scored four with Adam Evans getting the other three.