SSE Airtricity League Wrap Up Waterford Continue with Winning Ways

Waterford FC continued with their impressive start to life in the Premier Division as they beat Shamrock Rovers 2-1 in the Regional Sports Centre in front of a crowd of over 3,000. Courtney Duffus scored both their goals with Graham Burke scoring for Shamrock. They had to play most of the game with ten men as Ally Gilchrist was sent off after ten minutes.

A second half goal from Ian Bermingham gave St. Patrick’s Athletic a 1-0 win against Limerick FC in Richmond Park.

Bray Wanderers remain without a league win this season as they lost 2-1 against Bohemian FC in Dalymount Park. Daniel Kelly had given them the lead after only three minutes with Ian Morris equalising a minute later. Dinny Corcoran though scored the winner for Bohs four minutes into stoppage time.

Dundalk look to be in ominous form as they were comfortable 2-0 winners against Sligo Rovers in the Showgrounds. Patrick Hoban and Michael Duffy scored their goals as Stephen Kenny’s side kept their seventh clean sheet of the season.

Cork City weren’t in league action this week, but they did collect their second piece of silverware this season as they won the Munster Senior Cup by beating non-league side St. Mary’s 5-0 in Turner’s Cross. Kieran Sadlier scored two with Karl Sheppard, Tobi Adebayo-Rowling and Josh O’Hanlon all scoring one each.

In the First Division Drogheda United came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Galway United in United Park. Eoin McCormack scored both goals for Galway with Mark Doyle and Luke Gallagher scoring for Drogheda who also had Colm Deasy sent off.

A goal from Michael O’Connor gave Finn Harps a 1-0 win against Wexford FC in Finn Park. Wexford also had a man sent off in their game with Owen McCormack seeing red.

Shelbourne were also 1-0 winners in their game at home to Cobh Ramblers with David O’Sullivan keeping up his good run of goals.

In a South Dublin derby UCD beat Cabinteely 3-1 thanks to goals from George Kelly, Yousef Mahdy and Gary O’Neill. Jack Watson scored for Cabinteely who in keeping with the theme in the First Division also had a man sent off with Karl Byrne seeing red for them. That win took UCD to the top of the table as we head into the Easter season.

The remaining game in the First Division was the Midlands Derby as Longford Town welcomed Athlone Town to the City Calling Stadium. Athlone actually got off to a perfect start as they took the lead after only a minute through Rory McCullagh but that was as good it got for them as they ended up being beaten 5-1. Chris Mulhall and Dean Byrne both scored two with Evan Galvin getting the 5th and final goal.