SSE Airtricity League Wrap Up Week Ending 8th October ROVERS BEAT BOHS TO EASE RELEGATION WOES

Sligo Rovers breathed life back into their survival hopes thanks to a 1-0 win against Bohemian FC in their Premier Division clash which was played in the Showgrounds. Vinny Faherty scored the games only goal as Bohs finished with ten. Keith Ward was sent off after an off the ball incident. That win takes the Bit O’Red out of the bottom three. The value of this win was further highlighted as the sides above them and below them all failed to win. St. Patrick’s Athletic and Limerick FC played out a 2-2 draw. Paul O’Conor and Conan Byrne got the goals for the home side with Chiedozie Ogbene and Shane Duggan scoring for Limerick. Duggan’s goal came five minutes into stoppage time. Galway United drew 3-3 with Bray Wanderers in the Carlisle Grounds. Jason Marks scored two for Bray with Aaron Green getting their other. Kevin Devaney and Ronan Murray scored for Galway with Murray scoring twice. He could have had a hat-trick but he had a 93rd minute penalty saved by Bray keeper Peter Cherrie. It was announced after the game that Bray manager Harry Kenny would be stepping down come the end of the season, he cited his role with the FAI and wanting to concentrate fully on that as his primary reason.

Finn Harps were beaten 2-0 at home by Dundalk. Brian Gartland and Jamie McGrath scored for Dundalk who also made news off the pitch as the FAI revealed that their midfielder Conor Clifford had been given a six month suspension for gambling offences which occurred when he was playing non-league in England. Already relegated Drogheda United went down 2-0 at home to Shamrock Rovers who look to have stolen a march on Bray and Derry City in the race to finish third. Ronan Finn and Brandon Miele got the goals for Shamrock. The First Division came to a close over the weekend with the last round of fixtures. Clubs now face a four month pre-season until they play competitively again in February. Champions Waterford were beaten 2-1 by Cobh Ramblers who finished second eight points behind. UCD finished third and they won 4-0 away against Athlone Town. George Kelly scored three of the four goals and in doing so became the 20th player to score a hat-trick against Athlone this season. The FAI also revealed recently that Athlone’s captain Jason Lyons is two games into an eight game ban again related to betting offences including games involving his own side. Shelbourne finished 4th thanks to a 3-1 win against Cabinteely FC in Tolka Park. Longford Town ended their season with a 1-0 win at home to Wexford.